- 16 oz crimini mushrooms or white mushrooms**
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 4 cups cauliflower florets
- ¼ cup unsweetened almond milk
- ½ tsp smoked paprika
- ½ tsp garlic powder
- ½ tsp sea salt
- fresh parsley Finely chopped for garnish (optional)
- PREHEAT oven to 425°F. Wipe the mushrooms with a damp cloth to remove any dirt, remove the stems, and set aside. Roughly chop the cauliflower florets and mushrooms stems, place in a large, microwave-safe bowl, and cover with plastic wrap.
- MICROWAVE on high for 10 minutes. (Alternatively, steam on the stovetop for 10 minutes or pressure cook in an instant pot for 4-5 minutes.) Allow to cool slightly, then transfer to a food processor or blender (be sure to fully drain so that final mixture is not too liquid for piping) and add the almond milk, paprika, garlic powder, and salt.
- BLEND on high until smooth and creamy, scraping down the sides of the food processor or blender as necessary. Place the mushroom caps on a large baking sheet, drizzle with the olive oil, and toss gently to coat.
- TRANSFER the filling to a piping bag affixed with a star tip or a Ziploc bag with the corner end snipped off. If the mixtures seem too liquid for piping, allow mixture to set up in fridge for awhile before transferring to the piping bag. Carefully pipe the mixture into the mushroom caps and bake for 15 minutes, until tender and browned. Garnish with finely chopped parsley, if desired. Serve warm.
Yields 28 mushrooms + 1 2/3 cup filling *Mushrooms can be prepared a day ahead of time and reheated in a 350°F oven for 5-8 minutes. **Try to select mushrooms that do not look too “jumbo” in size- I have found the number of mushrooms in an 8 oz package can vary quite a bit. Choose more moderate/smaller mushrooms should yield a total of 28 mushrooms or so for two 8 oz packages, but I’ve gotten only 19 total before when packages with larger mushrooms was selected.
Calories: 74kcal | Carbohydrates: 6g | Protein: 3g | Fat: 5g | Net Carbs: 6g