- 2 lbs roma tomato
- 1 medium yellow onion
- 1 red bell pepper
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 1/4 cup low-sodium vegetable broth
- 1/3 cup light coconut milk
- 1 tsp sea salt
- 1 tsp black pepper
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp smoked paprika
- Fresh basil thinly sliced (optional garnish)
- PREHEAT oven to 425°F. Line a large baking sheet with aluminum foil and drizzle with the olive oil. Cut the Roma tomatoes in half lengthwise. Peel the onion and cut into ½” thick slices. Remove the ribs and seeds from the bell pepper and cut into ½” thick strips.
- EVENLY spread the tomatoes, onion, and bell pepper onto the prepared baking sheet and bake for 40 minutes, until softened and starting to brown. (This can be done at the same time as the Balsamic Roasted Vegetables- if you do this however, the larger batch of vegetables in the oven at same time will take longer to roast, so increase roasting time accordingly – about 45-50 minutes total). Remove the tomatoes, onion, and bell pepper from the oven and allow to cool slightly
- CAREFULLY transfer everything to a high-speed blender* (including any juices that have accumulated) and blend on low speed until smooth. Add the vegetable broth, coconut milk, and spices. Blend on high speed for 3-5 minutes, until heated through and steaming. Pour into serving bowls and garnish with fresh basil, if desired.
Yields about 6 cups soup *Alternatively, transfer everything to a large saucepan over medium heat, add the remaining ingredients and purèe using an immersion blender, until smooth, creamy, and heated through. Suggestion to anyone not on the Phase 3 plan would be to top with some crumbled feta.
Calories: 70kcal | Carbohydrates: 9g | Protein: 2g | Fat: 4g | Net Carbs: 9g